Duna-Ipoly National Park Directorate, Kiskunság National Park Directorate and WWF Hungary are holding a conference on the present conservation issues of steppe woods habitats in Central and Eastern Europe on 6-8 October 2011 in Kecskemét, Hungary. Participants from all over Europe are welcome.
Main topics of the conference will be:
- Mosaics of steppe wood habitats in Central and Eastern Europe. Presentation of the landscape geography, history, botany, and zoology of some steppe woods in Hungary or another country, and nature conservation issues. Research results of steppe wood species of special importance.
- Invasive plant and animal species in steppe wood habitats. The most important invasive plant and animal species of the dry plain habitats, their history, and the possibilities of reduction.
- Possibilities of forestry and conservation forestry in steppe wood habitats. Forestry under dry plain conditions. History of forestry and the forestry policy of today. Practical difficulties and challenges in forestry. Conservation forestry.
- Interaction between plant and animal species in steppe wood habitats. The role of big game in dry plain habitats. Wildlife damage: interactions between game density and the habitat. The role of vertebrate and invertebrate species in the functioning of the steppe wood environment.
- Habitat restoration. The restoration possibilities of steppe wood habitats. Implemented and planned projects, their results and the most important lessons learnt.
Deadline for abstract submission: 19 September 2011
More information and registration >>